Our Chapel and Community
Lincoln is a beautiful Cathedral City with the advantage of having a small town, rural atmosphere. The present Unitarian chapel was built in 1725 when it became one of the first dissenting places of worship in Lincoln. Its warm and friendly quality is encouraged by the mural on the north wall, and its wooden pillars which are thought to have been ships masts. The congregation first met in John Disney's house in 1662.
A fragment of a medieval window from John of Gaunt's palace was preserved when the house in High Street, Lincoln, formerly occupied by the Disney family, was demolished circa 1960. It was loaned to the Unitarian Chapel by the County Museums Committee in 1987. As a listed building, Lincoln is fortunate to have attracted funding for restoration work both in 1985 and 1998 from the City and County Council and English Heritage. In 2004 an access ramp was built which was funded by CORY Environmental.