History

At the beginning of the 19th century, people were flooding into Blackpool and the surrounding Fylde area from all parts of Lancashire. Unitarians gathered together, firstly in a corrugated building in the sandhills of Ansdell - a favoured area between St Annes and Lytham. A more permanent building was opened in 1930. Our hall was built in 1968.

A number of our members have given distinguished public service and held national office in the church. Including two knights: Sir Cuthbert Grundy and Sir Herbert Pollard, and two MBEs. Two national Presidents of the Unitarian General Assembly - Rev Herbert Crabtree and Sir Herbert Pollard. Here today we are still catering to the liberal religious tradition.

Extract from the Lytham Times 18th July 1930:

"The new Unitarian Church at Fairhaven will be formally opened tomorrow (Saturday) by Sir Cuthbert Grundy JP, and will mark another milestone in Church growth in the Fairhaven district. It is just about a quarter of a century since the cause of Unitarianism was founded in the district. The first meeting was held in a private house in Lake Road, Ansdell, largely through the instrumentality of Mr.C.C. Grundy, a gentleman who did yeoman service for the cause in the Fylde district. The numbers were originally very small, but at the end of about six months the question of larger premises had to be considered and it was decided to build a church. The question of expense became the chief consideration and it was resolved to start with a small corrugated iron structure at a cost of £400. The money necessary was quickly raised and the tin building in Channing Road, off Clifton Drive, Fairhaven, was opened practically free from debt. The ceremony was performed in April 1906, by Mr. H. Leigh, of Monton."

Extract from the Lytham Times 22nd July 1908:

"Saturday was another red letter day in the history of the Ansdell Unitarian movement, for on that day the church received its first pastor - Rev. Richard J. Hall, M.A., who was also inducted into his first pastorate."

Extract from the Lytham Times 20th April 1906:

"Mr. W. Bland proposed a vote of thanks to Mr. Leigh. He was delighted with the consummation of their wishes, especially when it was only eighteen months since Mr. Grundy acted like Puck in girdling the Unitarianism of the district, rather than let them live in isolation. He was glad that in such a short time they had got a building in which they could meet. Many people wondered why they had gone out 'into the desert' there. (Laughter). The main reason had been the measure of their pocket, and it was as well in a rational religion like theirs to be able to pay 20s in the pound rather than go begging to make up the 5s deficit. (Laughter)."