Ministers of Rivington
click image

History


Box Pews at Rivington
click image

The history of our building: Though the historic congregation dates from the separation in 1662 from the Parish church, the chapel was built of local stone in 1703 and has a small bell-cote. Its historical importance is recognised by English Heritage. The restored interior contains the original box pews and a stone memorial to Lord Willoughby, one of its founders. The descendants of George Brownlow, another of its founders, held a service in 17th century costume. A plaque by the yew tree indicates a link with Walt Whitman, the American poet. The chapel is often visited by historical societies as well as by schools.

Rivington Unitarian Chapel ©