History

Cairo Street Chapel is the second oldest surviving place of worship in Warrington. It was founded by dissenters who were seeking tolerance and liberty for themselves and others.

Robert Yates founded the chapel when he was ejected from the Church of England in 1662, he ultimately obtained a licence for public worship. In 1863 the chapel was extensively repaired and updated, the interior would have looked much as it does today.

Prominent Ministers of the Chapel have included the founder Robert Yates (1662-1678), John Seddon, founder of Warrington Academy (1747-1770), William Enfield (1770-1785)and Pearsall Carpenter (1819-1877). Other Unitarians associated with Cairo Street Chapel include Joseph Priestley (1733-1804), Anna Letitia Barbauld (nee Aitken) (1743-1825) and William Gaskell, Minister (1805-1884).