Nurturing Faith, Enhancing Life, Celebrating Difference.
Unitarianism has its origins in the early Christian church but it was not until 1851 that the first Wirral Unitarian church was established.
This was Clive Hall at Charing Cross, Birkenhead. Relocating to Bessborough Road in 1903, the congregation worshipped there until 1976.
In Wallasey, Unitarianism began with a series of Sunday services at Albert Hall in New Brighton. In 1892 the 'iron church' became the place for worship but this was soon followed by the Memorial Church in Liscard which opened in 1899. Famous for the Della Robbia panels found in the chancel, metalwork by Walter Gilbert and the Pre- Raphaelite paintings by Bernard Sleigh, this building is now owned by the Historic Chapels Trust.
Meanwhile in West Kirby, the first Unitarians met in 1906 when West Kirby Free Church (Unitarian) came into existence.
Early meetings were held in the Blenheim Cafe in The Crescent. These were followed for a few years at the 'tin church' which was until recently a funeral parlour and now is a restaurant!
Finally a church was opened in 1928 in Brookfield Gardens.
Sir Adrian Boult, the conductor, is probably this church's most famous worshipper, his family having been among the church's founders. From the 1980s this became the church for all Unitarians living on Wirral.
Now as the latest chapter in our history Wirral Unitarians are worshipping at the Quaker Meeting House, North Drive, Heswall.
History of the Unitarians in the Wirral
The power point was part of a presentation by Rev. Phil Waldron during a Discovery Group event.