The Chalice, by Jane Gray
Records of the congregation go back to 1692 with the formation in Doncaster of a group of Protestant Dissenters in the English Presbyterian tradition.

The first building on the present site was erected in 1744 and became known as the Unitarian Church.

The present church dates from 1912, when there was an amalgamation with a liberal Christian group ejected from the Congregational Church.

The name Free Christian Church was given at this time, but it was made explicit that "this in no way binds the future of the Church whose free trust deed governs the whole situation".

This open trust ensures freedom from doctrinal test for the minister and members of the congregation. The bond of the union of all within the Church is the unity of the Spirit.