Our community first gathered in 1652. Our beautiful chapel was built in 1743.

Underbank Chapel is the oldest place of worship in Stannington, Sheffield and is situated in glorious surroundings with beautiful views near the Loxley Valley.

The congregation dates from 1652, when Richard Spoone bequeathed the income from land and a building for the maintenance of a 'preaching minister.' At first, the congregation worshipped in a converted barn. The congregation most likely appointed a minister from the Presbyterian tradition, and by 1700 the congregation seems to have been 'Dissenters.'

The converted barn became unfit for worship. A new chapel, on land adjoining the original building, was provided by Thomas Marriott, a Dissenter. The new chapel was opened on 2nd June 1743. The chapel adopted Unitarian beliefs in 1785 when Revd Edmund Gibson became minister.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, then considering becoming a Unitarian minister, visited the area in 1796. He met with the chapel's minister, the Revd Astley Meanley. Just two years later Coleridge, along with William Wordsworth, published a volume of poetry, 'Lyrical Ballads,' which is said to be the starting point of the English Romantic Movement.

The Chapel interior has been much altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. The pews dates from 1860. There is some early 20th century glass in the west and north sides.

A beautiful wall hanging beside the pulpit was created in 2002 by several members of the chapel to commemorate the gathering of our community in 1652. The various panels give an insight into chapel life over 350 years. The centrepiece is a tapestry showing the present external view and was worked by various members in several separate pieces.

The organ is a Brindley & Foster pipe organ and was obtained second hand in memory of chapel members, lost in the 1914-18 war.

The graveside alongside the chapel enjoys fine views of the surrounding countryside.

The Underbank Schoolroom is on the other side of the road from the chapel. It was opened in 1854. This was the 'new school'; the original school began in 1652.