Caeronnen Unitarian Chapel

Minister: Cen Llwyd

Secretary: Mrs. L Williams
66 Llanllienwen Road

Tel: 01792 772595

This chapel, in the village of Cellan, has a long history stretching back to the days of Oliver Cromwell and the persecutions of 1654. A detailed history was written by the Rev. Oswald Williams. One of the outbuildings of the present Caeronnen Farm was probably used as a meeting place around 1685. The congregation became Unitarian in the middle of the nineteenth century after much controversy in the area and the building of the nearby Congregational chapel, "Capel yr Erw", in the village at the beginning of the century.

The present chapel is small and compact with a small gallery and a cemetery. In the cemetery is the grave of Sali Davies, a Deputy Headmistress at the school in Lampeter, who refused to receive her State Pension because the forms were not available in Welsh. The old schoolroom used to be on the upper floor of the house which stands next to the present chapel.